[TowerTalk] Unique Inv L...Help!

K4SAV RadioIR at charter.net
Fri Jan 2 14:40:16 EST 2009

The problem with end feeding a half wave wire on 160 (in this case
configured as an L) is that most people who operate 160 soon discover
that you need an amplifier.  That translates into big voltages at the
feedpoint.  In this case the feedpoint of the antenna at 1.87 MHz is
about 7000 ohms.  At 1500 watts that is 4600 volts peak.  So you need a
large vacuum variable.  You also need a sizable coil. You also need a
lot of margin to handle high humidity conditions.   All wires inside the
matching network have to be well insulated to prevent arc-over during
high humidity.  A little condensation is a major problem.

It's a lot easier at 100 watts.

But why would you go to all this trouble when a shorter antenna would
work better, plus be much easier to match?  Well there is one reason I
can think of, maybe if working DX is only a secondary consideration and
you wanted the antenna primarily for local contacts.  But if that was
the case, a dipole would beat it.

Jerry, K4SAV