[TowerTalk] stacking distances

TexasRF at aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Fri Jan 2 16:51:22 EST 2009

In general, as the stacking distance exceeds optimum, the mail lobe
beamwidth continues to deacrease. The gain does not increase as one might expect
because the grating lobe amplitude increases and "eats" the extra apparent gain
associated with the narrower main lobe.

At 144Hz and higher frequency, the added grating lobe amplitude can hurt
receive s/n if the lobe sees a noisy power source such as man made noise or sky
noise from our galactic center.

At 50MHz and lower, the background noise is so high that it makes little
difference if the grating lobes see these noise sources.

There are complete chapters and books to read all about this and a good
starting point is one of the VHF/UHF manuals if you can find one (all the ARRL
manuals are out of print).

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 1/2/2009 3:31:44 P.M. Central Standard Time,