[TowerTalk] Anyone have a PE report for a tower?

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Sat Jan 3 11:56:07 EST 2009

In a message dated 1/3/2009 7:59:31 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  I am a licensed professional engineer who has recently  become aware of
the challenges that we hams have encounter installing towers  on our property.

>  I've seen a number of people say that an  engineering analysis costs
around $1000 and this seems pretty expensive to me.  As a General class ham (with
Morse Code), I'd like to help out fellow hams  with the engineering analysis,
so the permits can be issued and the towers  raised.

>  Has anyone on here had a engineering analysis  performed for their
antenna, and if so, would you be willing to share a copy  with me? I'd like to look
at it and see what kind of calculations the engineer  did satisfy the
requirements of the local authorities.

Howdy --

    Umm, I think you meant tower and not antenna.  You don't need PE calcs
and stamp for an antenna.

>  This will help our hobby because having PE's that are also  hams will make
antenna installations much easier and help fellows hams spend  time on the
air rather than standing in line at the permit office.

If you want to help out, register yourself  with the ARRL as a Volunteer
Consulting Engineer on their website. Your PE  license will only be good in your
state so if you can get reciprocal licensing  in other states it would be very
helpful.

I have a couple of PE stamped plans from some of  my tower projects and can
probably mail you one if I had a mailing address.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for hams