[TowerTalk] Toroid "Goop"

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Tue Jan 13 22:40:01 EST 2009

KB1H wrote:
> I have used the liquid grip you can buy at a NAPA Auto Parts store which is
> used to make grips on tools. Just dip the torrid is and voila!

This stuff is much better than Silastic RTV (TM). It's easier, neater,
and gives a good conformal coating.  A low viscosity epoxy or resin such
as Vinyl Ester Resin (Dow Derakane (sp?)) can also give a good conformal
coating that is rugged.  You can add filler such as microspheres to add
bulk to completely pot a system without adding much weight.
My own choice happens to be the Vinyl Ester Resin which has a lower
viscosity than most epoxies and handles higher temps while being a
reasonably good heat conductor.  However none of these is good enough to
increase the heat dissipation. They all serve as insulation to some
extent and that can vary widely.  Probably the worst would be the RTVs.

One thing to remember though is, all these coatings will increase the
distributed capacitance substantially which may or may not be a problem
depending on the use to which the toroid is put.

73

Roger (K8RI)