[TowerTalk] Rotor control

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 14 09:46:11 EST 2009

donovanf at starpower.net wrote:
> Lee,
>
> There isn't anything especially difficult about controlling a rotator at a distance of 750 feet.  The only issue is maintaining the required voltage for the motor, and the brake if the rotator has one.  That distance presents no problem at all for indicator circuits.
>
> I currently have two M2 Orion rotators that are over 700 feet from their control boxes, and there is no problem at all.  This rotator requires only four wires: two for the motor and two for the indicator circuit.  I use #10 wire for the motor.  Although I use #12 wire for the indicator, smaller wire would work well.
>
> The motor and brake voltage for the Ham4 and T2X rotators are more critical.  Again, the indicator circuit is not a problem with these rotators. The following techniques will allow a Ham4 or T2X rotator at operate 750 feet from its control box:
>    1. Three #10 wires from the control box (the motor and brake wires, terminal strip wires 1,2 and 3)
>    2. Relocate the motor starting capacitor to a convenient much closer to the rotator.  Its not necessary to place it immediately next to the rotator.
>    3.  Mount a small transformer on the back of the control box and wire it into the control box to boost only the brake voltage.
>
> 73
> Frank
> W3LPL

2100 feet of AWG10 wire is going to be pretty pricey.  Seem to recall
something like $80/500 ft, so you're looking at over $200 just for the
wire. (although copper prices are always changing)..

I like the idea of just using a transformer to boost the voltage to
overcome the additional drop from more reasonably sized wires.  The
money you save on the thinner wire would cover the cost of the
boost/buck transformer.

(Unless there's a widely varying load and an overvoltage issue..)

Jim,W6RMK