[TowerTalk] Rotor control

Jim Hargrave w5ifp at gvtc.com
Wed Jan 14 10:56:25 EST 2009

Lee,

My tower is not 750ft away, however, 750 ft. should not be a problem for the
position indicator. The problem would be the loss of power to the rotor
motor. I would suggest he install a power supply and relays for the
motor/brake at the base of the tower and operate the relays with the
existing controller.

I have a Prop Pitch drive motor on my tower and have this arraignment. My
controller activates the relays at the tower. I am using the conventional
azimuth feedback from the position pot. This position pot current is very
low, so the 750 ft. should not present a big loss. The controller
calibration should have enough range to compensate for the small loss. The
relays can be operated by the same motor power supply and activated by using
a TIP-120 Darlington power transistor. This would virtually eliminate any
high current requirements from the controller. A Darlington transistor could
also be incorporated into the position feedback if necessary.

All lines should be bypassed at each end to avoid RFI/static interference.

   * 73's Jim W5IFP *