[TowerTalk] A poll of Cubical Quad qwners

Michael Goins wmgoins at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 19:40:57 EST 2009

Done it with baluns and with using 50 ohm coax feed (without baluns)
and could never tell the difference. In my opinion, the gain in purity
of using the balun is neglible and while it is likely will be a
slightly better balanced arrangement, I don't think it would matter
(at least not to me). I have also done the 70 ohm coax transformers to
get to 50 ohms on each band (regular quad).

I have wondered about using feeders and a tuner with multiband wires
(10/15/17/20) all tied to the feeder together and with the feeder
switched via a relay box with the regular quad (8-9 foot boom) to get
as close to a balanced line match as possible (not ohm, but balanced
load). With a spider boomed quad, all feeds are close to 50 ohm
already and we are once again talking about balance, not match. I am
putting up a tower in the near future and will likely be using a quad
once again, so I too would like to hear comments from users.

Mike, k5wmg
Pipe Creek, Texas
Green cars, slow boats, big dogs, and summers off to write
Please do not print this e-mail unless it is completely necessary