[TowerTalk] Inverted L longer than 1/4 wave.

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Tue Jan 20 06:51:55 EST 2009

John,

No, an inverted L doesn't need to be resonant.
Increasing the total length raises the radiation resistance, and that
may help the efficiency if you have a "less than perfect" ground system.
However, assuming that increasing the total length means increasing the
length of the horizontal top, that puts more current into the horizontal
section which in turn gives you much less low-angle radiation.

Here's some modelled figures - all with a 50ft vertical section, and
over a reasonable ground system:

1/4 wave: Z=19+j0  Wave angle=30degrees
3/8 wave: Z=63+j690 Wave angle=84 degrees
5/8 wave: Z=80-j500 Wave angle=88 degrees

Hope that helps,

Steve G3TXQ