[TowerTalk] Modeling program for Folded Unipole antenna?s

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Jan 20 11:42:19 EST 2009

You would have to model the skirt wires as a transmission line working
against the tower.  There is a free program called "atlc" that can
determine the characteristic impedance.  However, it only runs on
Linux.  You can also try the free program Maxwell SV from Ansoft
to determine the characteristic impedance.

In your case, since your tower is close to a quarter wave, the
transmission line is a shorted quarter wave, which will look like
a very high impedance from the feedpoint, and it doesn't much matter
what the characteristic impedance is.  Thus it should load up pretty
much like a cage vertical, with the tower "disappearing", assuming
you drive all three wires.  You can model a cage vertical on EZNEC, etc.
I would not recommend driving only one wire and grounding the others.

Rick N6RK