[TowerTalk] mast stacking calculation

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 21 20:14:37 EST 2009

Peter Voelpel wrote:

> [...]

SI = Systeme International  aka Metric

> Cheers,
> Steve     K7LXC
> Champion Radio Products

> steps!
> (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1215855013x1201028747/aol?redir=htt
> p://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26hmpgID=62%26bcd=De
> cemailfooterNO62)
>

> Hi Steve,
>
> For your information: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/
>
> If I remember right NASA already had a space flight problem in the past by
> wrong converted units

Ahem.. (as a JPLer).. NASA has used Metric (SI) units for decades, at
least in deep space exploration.  US manufacturers do not always do so.
In the Mars Climate Orbiter fiasco, the interface control document (ICD)
for data from Lockheed said metric, the JPL navigators assumed the data
was metric (Newtons for thrust), but Lockheed was putting the data in as
pounds, so it's off by a factor of 4.5 or thereabouts.

Lockheed screwed up by not giving the data in the specified form.
JPL screwed up by not checking and assuming that Lockheed did what they
said they were going to do.