[TowerTalk] Fwd: Relay lightening protection

HansLG at aol.com HansLG at aol.com
Wed Jan 28 21:25:33 EST 2009

The diodes in ULN2003 are there to protect the switchers in the IC from too
high voltage when connected to relay coils etc. It works well provided the
"other end" of the diodes are terminated correctly (usually to Vcc).

You usually don't need any protection diodes if you use mechanical  switches
and don't switch frequently, although protection diodes extend the  lifetime
of a mechanical switch.

I think you are better off if you put the protecting diode next to the
switch as you then take care of the inductance in the wires to the relay as  well.

The diode in a MOSFET (the so called body-diode) can not (or should not) be
used for this purpose as it is not in the correct position.

Normally you don't have to worry about the influence the  diode has on the
timing of the relay. If you need the faster release time I  suggest you connect
a resistor in series with the diode. Choose a resistor of  the same value as
the DC resistance of the relay coil. That's a good start. You  can be
sophisticated by adding capacitors etc. to a network around the relay but  I don't
think you gain anything substantial in this application.

73 de N2JFS, Hans

In a message dated 1/28/2009 8:35:37 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,