[TowerTalk] Relay lightening protection

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed Jan 28 22:20:59 EST 2009

Jim Lux wrote:
> [...]
Yah, but...they also recommend the diode AND
resistor/zenner/varistor/MOV/ reverse bias..., or some combination.
IOW they too recommend the diode, just not the diode by itself.  Nearly
all DC relays and particularly sensitive ones keyed by a transistor need
some sort of clamping to protect the driver from the reverse EMF.

If you take a small DC supply sufficient to pull in one of those relays
at say 12 or 24 volts, hang onto the wires, and make the connection,
watch the contacts close, then pull off one of the wires.  That sucker
will bite! <:-)) Larger coils have teeth in them.

73

Roger (K8RI)