[TowerTalk] Antenna Switch Needed

Jon Casamajor k6el at comcast.net
Fri Jan 30 22:01:11 EST 2009

I need a remote antenna switch, what would folks recommend ?

>> 73, Dick, W1KSZ

Dick,
I posted a question a couple of months ago suspecting that I had a problem
with my Ameritron RCS-4 antenna switch. I had used one for 20 years with no
issues. I re-did my antenna stack and replaced the RCS-4 consul, in the
shack and relay box at the top of my crank up tower.
I was fighting a noise issue that I had nailed down to the switch, I
thought. I promised to update the list on my findings. I'm not sure I
actually did that so I apologize if this is redundant or if I haven't done
the update.
I found a couple of really bad, "gunky" connections. (oxidation) My tower is
fed with a 1/2" hard line that is buried out to the tower then a short 7'
LMR400 jumper to another LMR400 that runs to the switch at the top of the
HDX-572 tower.
The connection at the first jumper was nasty and the connection to the run
to the switch was worse. They were both shrink wrapped and sealed.
I rejuvenated both connections and applied some NO-ALOX and sealed them up
again. This time I'll check them annually.
I can again feel pretty confident in the Ameritron RCS-4 Switch. It has
served me well. MFJ now builds it and I have received comments that one
should check the solder connections in the relay box for cold joints. My new
one looked fine, but I put some heat to a couple of the connections.  The
RCS-4 controls 4 positions using an AC voltage on the coax to 3 relays. I
would not hesitate to buy and apply another one with the previous caveats.
My noise problem was caused by lack of proper maintenance by me and the
switch wasn't my problem. It's a good solution to switch 4 antennae IMHO.
Regards,
Jon-K6EL
k6el at comcast.net