[TowerTalk] PL259's and heat shrink tubing

Ian White GM3SEK gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Wed Jul 15 08:33:59 PDT 2009

Adam Shirley WJ4X wrote:
>The before mentioned method of hotmelt glue and heat shrink.... how
>easy is that to get off? I have a feeling it involves more than running
>a knife down the side and peeling it off very easily

After running the knife down the side, it does peel off, though with
some effort.

To make it clear, the heat shrink/glue treatment is only applied to ONE
connector at a time, to reinforce and seal the attachment between that
individual connector and its cable. It is meant to be permanent.

To cover the joint between two connectors that have been treated this
way, I use the self vulcanizing tape method almost exactly as Brad just
described (except we call it self amalgamating tape over here, and other
brands are available as well as the 3M products).  When they need to be
disconnected, the tapes are removed but the heat shrink sleeve on each
connector stays.

I wouldn't ever use heat shrink to join two connectors, except as part
of a permanent cable splice.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek