[TowerTalk] Gem Quad Back in Production

Rick Stealey rstealey at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 26 07:45:23 PDT 2009

I had a Gem quad in 1974.  My first directional antenna and first tower.  The tower was a fairly light duty crank-up, 5 sections,
88 ft guyed.
So what to do with that quad which extends down 10 ft or so from the center?  Can't have guy wires going through the quad to the top of the tower.  Oh what the heck, we got 4 sets of guy wires already, we'll just leave the top section unguyed, its only 18 ft.

Result - a windstorm and the top tower section buckled slightly.
But at least the tower didn't come down.
The Gem quad was given away, the tower section was wedged down inside the next lower section and I've been using yagis for 35 years.

Rick  K2XT