[TowerTalk] Gem Quad Back in Production

Mike nf4l_NO_SPAM at nf4l.com
Sat Jul 25 20:20:22 PDT 2009

Lee-
I had a 4 element Gem as my first directional antenna. I had it on a
tilt-over tower, and could work on it from the ground. It was a bear to
tune, and I don't think I ever got it right.  I took off 2 elements and
sold them, and it worked better than it did as a 4L. I never had
anything break on it, but it would get pulled out of shape occasionally
(Florida).

I think, without any empirical data, that the slanted spreaders gave it
better spacing than a straight up and down spreader design. I put a set
of 2 meter wires (fed separately) on it, and that worked really well.

Overall I really liked it.

73, Mike NF4L