[TowerTalk] gem quad

Mark Mellish mellish at uniserve.com
Sun Jul 26 19:59:15 PDT 2009

     I've had a 5 band Gem Quad, (6 bands if you count  2 meters) up at 48' for about 12 years.  It has been a very good performer.  It is very light weight with a small wind load.  I ran all 5 bands into a balun and one coax.  It was a chore to get up my tower with 3 sets of guys.  I put a pulley at the top, assembled it around the base of the tower, dropped the guys, and hauled it up.  Afterwards, I tightened the guys, climbed up and hooked it all up.
     It didn't tune up very well using the single feedline, but once I quit obsessing about it and used the tuner, I have been very pleased.  I think it is definitely better than the average tribander and has 12 and 17 meters too. It has stood up to the weather here 40 miles east of Vancouver quite well.  I am in the process of putting up a SteppIR 4 el on a T400 Trylon, but the Gem Quad costs a small fraction of the cost of the Steppir, and requires a much less robust tower.
     I would buy another Gem Quad.  de Mark, VE7YMM