[TowerTalk] FW: HFTA Accuracy / Usefulness

Dubovsky, George George.Dubovsky at andrew.com
Wed Mar 18 10:49:38 PDT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Dubovsky, George
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 1:48 PM
To: 'Scott McClements'
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] HFTA Accuracy / Usefulness

Hi Scott,

I have been doing a lot of HFTA'ing recently, doing analysis for a
planned third tower. I look at the program as a statistical tool, far
more important to a contester than a DX'er. It gives valuable insight
into what "local" terrain and angle of arrival really mean to your
station performance. If you just want to work a new one in the Pacific
when it comes on the air, the higher-is-better rule is probably OK. If
your goal is to maximize rate into EU several hours after the band has
opened, then the insights available in HFTA start to become more useful.
In your case, it may tell you to put up your tall tower, put the 40 on
top, and put a tribander down a little lower on a ringrotor.

As a rough data point on the general accuracy of the program, I operated
a lot and contested quite a bit (in the 70's and 80's) from a suburban
location about 15 miles from my present farm qth. I had one 105' tower
behind the house with a shorty-forty at 115' and a KT-34XA below it. I
used to run really well into EU and AF, and not so well into SA and JA.
About two years ago, just for grins, I calculated the MicroDEM radials
for that old station and ran them on HFTA. Sure enough, I had golden
terrain falling away for several miles towards EU, a ridge 1/4-1/2 mile
away towards JA (that was taller than I ever thought when I lived there)
that was killing my low and moderate angle stuff, and I was too high for
SA most of the time (except on 40).

Bottom line: good tool, will tell you things that you need to know,
won't tell you everything you need to know.

73,

geo - n4ua