[TowerTalk] G 1000 DXA alignment?

jim Jarvis jimjarvis at optonline.net
Sun May 31 12:22:15 PDT 2009

Anybody got a foolproof alignment procedure for a Yaesu g1000dxa rotor?

I replaced the motor in this thing, like 7 years ago, and it's been
on the shelf  ever
since.   Have now confirmed that it rotates in the correct direction,
and over 450 degrees
travel.

The control box indicator doesn't align with the rotor.

Note that all possible variables have been diddled with,  including
removal of
the sending pot and tweaking of the calibration, and moving of the
pointer.

I WAS methodical about this, way back when... not moving the
alignment pot,
nor the cal nor the pointer... but when assembled it wouldn't rotate
through 450 degrees.
So I shelved it.

Careful reassembly, paying attention to the stops restored
rotation.   But the pointer is off.
I tried aligning everything to North... but that didn't work at the
extremes.   So I tried aligning
to the left 180 degrees... and that wouldn't align going to the
right, to the overlap stop.

I have the feeling I'm getting close on this, but clearly I'm missing
some relationship.

At this point, I'm sure the proper procedure for motor replacement
begins with
"mark upper and lower casings at the point of the cast alignment
hacks..."
Naturally, I didn't start with that, but I think I've reconstructed
it, given that we're rotating ok.

Suggestions welcome.   Thanks, in advance.

N2EA at arrl.net