[TowerTalk] Multi-band HF antenna replacement

J. Paul Lyet jpl3 at ptd.net
Sun May 31 09:19:18 PDT 2009

2 years ago my Tri-Ex tower collapsed (broken cable)  with Mosley Pro
67B atop.
Tower totalled, of course, and it's replacment was erected on Memorial Day!
The 10 year old 67B (138# w/ 3'' boom) suffered relatively minor
damage:  boom with
minimal flex distortion, 4 traps bent at the locking sleeves (all 4
replaced).   Partially
dismantelled antenna has been on a flagstone walk by the house for
two(2) years awaiting
tower replacement.  This has been a solid performer for me in the past.
However, should
 this antenna be reconditioned and used or may there be other hidden
trap gremlins from
age corrosion of internal contact points and/or insect penetration.
Inclination is to replace
ALL traps and recondition to new prior to mounting.....OR...consider an
alternative !
Objective:  10-12-15-17-20-40m coverage
                   high performance
                   quality construction with long service life.

On paper, the Force 12 has the coverage,  would be lighter (85# w/2'
boom) and trap free
(xcept Hi-Q coils on 40m twin elements).  Have no experience with their
products and service
other than generally well rated.
Reconditioning the 67B would be a cost saving,  but traps can be a
problem and perhaps I have
been fortunate in the past.
Requesting opinions on Pro67B -vs - Force 12 (ie. Delta 6BA ...XR-5 + 40M)
Other options?

Many tnx in advance!

73,
de, Paul Lyet / W3PL