[TowerTalk] RFI to HF rig

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Mon Nov 2 20:53:08 PST 2009

Michael Ryan wrote:
>   A friend has just purchased a DLP 55" TV set. He said he researched the
> web and was reading that there were fewer instances of RFI, buzzing, or
> outright garbage being spewed by one of these sets than most.  After getting
> it home and set up, he finds that this information WAS NOT ALTOGETHER
> CORRECT. He has lots of grief especially on 20 mters.  My tower is right
> over my house. The antennas are more likely to pick up the same sort of
> stuff., perhaps more so than even at my friends house were his tower is
> removed from the house a bit more.  I would love to hear ( off the reflector
> of course )
Why off? IT is the RFI reflector<:-))

I have the Samsung 40" which was all we had room for in the
entertainment center.
The TV antennas are mounted on the tower at roughly 90-95 feet. The only
interference was on channel 12 when operating on 2-meters with the
stacked pair pointed in the same direction as the top 100" long UHF
antenna with an antenna mounted preamp.  Even then the RFI was not bad,
but that was on analog.  So far with digital reception, same antennas
and same power there is no indication of interference to the TV set.  I
hear nothing on the ham bands up through 440.

I stay as far away as possible from Sony with their attitude toward
customers.
Also I much prefer the new LCDs over plasma as viewing angle,
brightness, and contrast are no longer problems in the higher end sets.
(Try before you buy).

73

Roger (K8RI)