[TowerTalk] Thinning liquid tape

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Tue Nov 3 19:57:45 PST 2009

Gene Smar wrote:
> TT:
>
>      I just checked my can of liquid electrical tape in the garage to help out another TT'ian and found that it's become rather thick.  I checked the archives but found nothing on thinning this stuff.  Can someone offer a suggestion?  Thanks.

As a suggestion, with your next can of liquid electrical tape, when you
finish up the job, put the cap on tight, then put the whole can in a
glass jar with a screw on, gasket top. (mason jar or even a cleaned
pickle jar) Use a jar that is just large enough you can put the tape
container inside.  BTW if you have some RTV around, keep the tube(s) in
a tightly capped plastic (Tuperware) container.  RTV uses the moisture
in the air as a curing agent. I have some in tubes that have been opened
that are over 12 years old and still usable that have been stored this
way. It normally cures in an unopened tube in 2 or 3 years.

I don't know what the thinner is, but it "to me" has a rather sweet smell.
I use a lot of MEKP which is Methyl Ethyl Ketone Peroxide. (NEVER give
MEKP the "sniff test".) It's nasty stuff.

73

Roger (K8RI)