[TowerTalk] screen mesh

Lee Buller k0wa at swbell.net
Thu Nov 12 17:52:59 PST 2009

I tried this years ago.  I took it all up.  The problem is that the chicken wire will go away after a few years.  Just disappear.  I guess it just rusts away.  The other thing I found after a year is increased noise.  Now I have no proof, but it seems that the rusting twists of wire acted as a spark gap which caused noise.  Now there is not a lot of voltage there, still the 40 meter vertical seem to get noisier and noisier.  I unhooked the chicken wire and the noise went to nothing.  Then I started laying out copper wire...about 16 radials.  No noise at all.  Worked like a champ too.  So, I do not use chick wire.  As one of ham said, it might be good if your roll it out and then take it up.  To much of a hassle.  This has been my observation.

Lee - K0WA

In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find any Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is Common Sense divine?

Common Sense is the image of the Creator expressing revealed truth in my mind. -  J. Wolf