[TowerTalk] Vertical dipoles

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Nov 17 22:45:08 PST 2009

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 23:29:19 -0500, Ian Hill - K8MM wrote:

>Vertical dipoles are good low band antennas.

Hold on a minute -- I think we are talking about very different
antennas. :) I have a top-loaded vertical (some would call it a
monopole) for 160M that works a treat, but it is not a DIPOLE. It's
an 86 ft vertical wire with a horizontal piece on top to bring it to
resonance, and it works against radials (to carry the current and
provide a path for the fields).

A vertical half wave DIPOLE behaves VERY differently from a vertical
monopole. The top half and bottom half of a vertical dipole both
radiate, and together form a complete antenna. The vertical part of
a monopole needs radials (or a counterpoise) to form a complete
antenna, and to the extent that they are symmetrical, the radiation
from the radials cancells in the far field.

73,

Jim K9YC