[TowerTalk] Open wire lines

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Mon Nov 30 07:16:59 PST 2009

> "I am looking for information on open wire lines. I want more than is
> available on the Antenna Book or the one paragraph information on LBDXing
> saying practically "better not". Maybe some hints a kinks, the A to Z on
> the subject."

I've found that the best information on open wire line theory, construction,
and coupling techniques comes from pre-1960 ARRL Antenna Book's, Terman's
Radio Engineering Handbook, and the material from the "Reflection" series by
Walt Maxwell.

For link-coupled tuner construction and theory, Cebik's website is excellent
after you get through the new on-line registration process.  Other than
Cebik's work, you will definitely need to investigate the literature
generated between 1930-1950.

You'll note that the most comprehensive material on the open-feeder subject
is now more than 50 years old.  I'm probably preaching to the choir, but a
great deal of "dumbing-down" on transmission line theory occurred with the
proliferation of coaxial cables and SWR meters.

Paul, W9AC