[TowerTalk] Half-Square Guidance

Michael Dinkelman mwdink at eskimo.com
Sat Oct 10 21:36:14 PDT 2009

Hello All

So, between my two towers, it appears I may have enough room
to put up a half-square for 80 meters. I've read the info in the
antenna book but still have a couple of questions that weren't
really addressed there. Rather than waste some valuable time,
maybe others have addressed them.

1) As I said, the two supports would be 60+ foot towers. As such,
the vertical portions would parallel the towers. I expect that might be
a problem. (I wouldn't normally try to put a vertical next to another
metal structure and a half square is essentially two phased verticals.)
I could make the verticals slant  away from the tower. The literature
indicates that shouldn't have much effect on performance but I'm not
sure it would prevent the tower from affecting the antenna.

2) Providing the above isn't an issue, can I use one tower as the apex
of two separate half-squares? (see below) One going in one direction
and another maybe 90 degrees off? (That would seem to be a problem
as the two would be resonant at the same frequencies and I see
coupling issues.)

cheers
dink, n7wa