[TowerTalk] LM354HDSP Rotor Mounting Location

Tommy aldermant at windstream.net
Thu Oct 15 14:19:55 PDT 2009

Hi Mike,

I keep waiting for some input on your question about your mast, but haven't
seen anything. Did you get direct email replies?

Since this is going to be my first tower/yagi, here is what I am going to
do, but please understand I really have no experience with this. Instead of
chrome moly, I am going to use 22, long 1026 DOM with 1/4" wall thickness.
At the top of the mast I am going to mount a 2sel 40m yagi that weighs 66
pounds and an 80 mph wind load of 6.8 sq ft. 10 below that yagi I am going
to mount a 16-element tri-bander that weighs 99 pounds and has a 80 mph wind
load of 12.6 sq ft. and this yagi will be mounted 2' above the top of the
tower. Then the mast will protrude 10 feet down into the tower and rest on
an Orion 2800 rotor. At this time I plan to use one thrust bearing tightened
enough to hold the mast from lateral movement, but no to support any of the
yagi/mast weight. The combined mast/yagi's is well within the weight bearing
capability of the Orion 2800 rotor.

This design is based only on my reading material and a quick consultation
with Jay of Array Solutions. I trust that Jay knows this subject a heck of a
lot better than I do.

73,

Tom - W4BQF