[TowerTalk] Verticals Above Beams

Tom Martin tmartin at chartermi.net
Thu Oct 22 11:19:47 PDT 2009

Butternut gives that scenario as a DO NOT in their instructions.  About the same as a vertical with just a ground rod, or two.  My HF6 is ground mounted with 50 radials and has a decent match 80-10.  Of course,on 80, it has a very narrow operating area, about 25 kHz.

I got the HF6 for the second radio in SO2R. I wanted to avoid another beam on the tower and cleanup the airspace around the QTH.  Compared to a Delta Loop  on 40, it's about 2-3 S-units less.  Compared to an 80 meter sloper on a 72' tower, it's about 3-4 S-units less.  Compared to my 4 element SteppIR it's 5 S-units less on 20-10.  K4M was S2 on the vertical and S-7 with the SteppIR.

I don't understand how some hams work 200 plus countries on 80 with an HF6.  It must be location...location...location!

I used a Butternut in a salt water lagoon in Belize, during the 2005 ARRL SSB DX test and it worked great.  No saltwater here in the U.P. HI!

73,

Tom W8JWN