[TowerTalk] Log periodic antennas and front end overload?

w2lu w2lu at rochester.rr.com
Sun Oct 25 18:26:06 PDT 2009

Hi Mat -

I have a fairly large LP which I designed and built about 10 years ago and
still use.  It covers 7-55 MHz with a 15 elements on a 46 foot boom up 100
feet. When I first started using it I had TS- 440. It was a pretty good
radio but for some reason they didn't run the receive path thru the antenna
tuner. The result was that everything from 7-55 MHz was presented to the rx
frontend resulting in gross overloading and all sorts of bad stuff. It was
particularly noticeable on 20m in the evening when there were lots extremely
big shortwave broadcast station beaming our way. Going to any kind of
reasonant antenna made a huge difference. I then moved to an IC-756 and now
a 756 PRO 2. They run the rx thru the antenna tuner and the problerm has
gone away.

Although it might be said that LP's are equally mediocer on all bands. I
find it's preformance to be quite acceptable and having just one boom and
one feedline to deal with is sure nice. I also think it's a real  plus to be
able to have all bands at the top of the tower, therefore lowest take off
angle and don't have to worrty about interaction between stacked yagis.

Bottom line -  I think LP's are worth considering provided you have some
sort of tuned circuit ahead of the rx front end.

73's,

Gene / W2LU