[TowerTalk] tramming vs. "riding the rope"

Steve Maki lists at oakcom.org
Thu Sep 10 06:28:53 PDT 2009

The method I gravitated to after many years (and installs) normally
involves no tillers or brackets, which I find a bit cumbersome to get
out of the way once the antenna arrives at the tower.

I use four continuous loop rope chokers to create two independent
cradles - one for the haul line, and one for the tram. This combo holds
the antenna steady in two planes, so the only concern left is rotation
about the boom axis. With practice and very flexible chokers wrapped two
or three times around the boom at each tie point, the chokers themselves
will keep any but the most top heavy antenna from rotating. I normally
adjust them so the the antenna elements are roughly parallel with the
haul line - this gives good clearance over guy wires.

73,

Steve K8LX