[TowerTalk] how much mast out of the top?

Steve, W3AHL w3ahl at att.net
Sat Sep 12 12:56:18 PDT 2009

Rather than rely on gut feelings and others' anecdotal experience, calculate
the mast load.  There is a fairly simple spreadsheet in the companion files
section for the Physical Design of Yagi's book at:

http://www.arrl.org/notes/3819/pdya.exe

The MAST.WK1 file will need to be converted to Excel (you may need to
download an add-on from Microsoft since Lotus support is no longer included
in recent upgrades).

Cell H8 will give you the total load transferred to the top of the tower by
the mast and antennas.  You can get the tower manufacturers spec for this
from their stress analysis calculations.

This program calculates the maximum wind speed that the specified mast can
survive with the given load.  To see what the tower load is at YOUR target
wind speed, just reduce the material yield strength in cell C5 until the max
wind speed in H5 is what you want, then see what the tower load is.

There is also good info and a spreadsheet in the July/Aug 2001 QEX on Tower
and Antenna Wind Loading as a Function of Height.

The article is available at:  http://www.arrl.org/qex/1123.pdf and the
spreadsheet is at:

http://www.arrl.org/qexfiles/Travanty.zip

This allows you to figure out how much to lower your freestanding crank-up
tower to survive a given wind speed, what is the maximum wind it will
survive fully nested, etc.

Steve, W3AHL