[TowerTalk] climbing an antenna mast

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sun Sep 13 21:55:29 PDT 2009

John Hudson wrote:
> I spent 22 years on a full time fire dept and have climbed a 80' and 110'
> UNSUPPORTED aerial ladders many times at about 70-80 degree angle.. even
> climbed off the ladder and onto roofs in the snow and ice BUT there is
> something to be said about weighing almost 300#... those skinny ladder masts
> ain't rated for us "normal" size folks, thank goodness!!!!

And here I thought a 90' Hy-Ranger almost straight up was a mite
"rubbery", or maybe that was my knees up there <:-)) I was one of the
few in the Maintenance department at work, that was at home on one.
Then they made it a specific job with required training and my bosses
didn't want their Instrument techs up there.  This was not long before I
gave up and went back to college after 26 years.  Should have done that
long before I did.

73

Roger (K8RI)