[TowerTalk] Mini Tribanders at low heights

John Geiger aa5jg at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 21 10:19:57 PDT 2009

After some antenna damage last year I am still contemplating what HF antenna to go with.  I am now using a homebrew G5RV and have worked about 105 countries on it this year.  I know that on the higher bands it shows gain in some directions with nulls in other directions (like for K5D on 20m).

The only beam I would be able to get up right now would be one of the smaller tribanders (like a MA5B or a Mosley Mini 32/33) at around 25 feet.  I know that is below the real minimium height to get such an antenna to play on 20. So here is my question-is it really worth the expense and effort to put a mini antenna at that height?  Would it show much improvement over a G5RV.  I know the G5RV has nulls in some directions, but I could fill those in with a rotatable dipole or a vertical as well.

73s John AA5JG