[TowerTalk] Anyone Using a Fulton KW3000 Winch with Powerful 1/2 inch Pistol Drill for tower tilting ?

Al Williams alwilliams at olywa.net
Tue Sep 22 10:32:22 PDT 2009

I have a question on overheating winch brakes.

I replaced the K1550 on my LM470 tiltover fixture with the K2550 and that
eliminated the very loud squealing when tilting the tower down.  I also
added two more pulleys to the arrangement for a total of four as does the US
tower HDX572.  It takes a lot more cranking with four pulleys but it is also
much easier.  I assume that the load on the winch
is less--but is it?  I use a drill to turn the winch when tilting.

I have been intermittently stopping when lowering the tower to let the brake
cool off but I wonder if that is necessary.  Is the load on the brake winch
less now that I have four pulleys instead of two in the cabling system so
that it won't heat up as much?

k7puc