[TowerTalk] Moving big rocks

Dave - AB7E xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Thu Apr 1 10:47:31 PDT 2010

Hi, Steve.

Depending upon the composition of the rock, you're probably looking at roughly 3,500 to 4,000 pounds for each rock.  That's going to take a lot of rock splitting to reduce them to chunks movable by hand.  A really good jackhammer would eventually get the job done, but I think you'd need to haul in a pretty good sized engine-powered compressor to power it.

Another possibility would be to drill holes and pour in liquid nitrogen, or chisel larger holes and pack dry ice in them, so that the temperature differential cracks the rock.  In this part of southern Arizona some of the "wells" are basically just deep (1,000 to 1,200 feet or more) shafts in solid granite bedrock that rely on water seepage from microfissures the whole length of the shaft.  The water collects at the bottom and gets pumped out.  Sometimes people would toss dynamite down the shaft to create more fissures, but supposedly a preferred alternative is to drop a few hundred pounds of dry ice into the hole.  I've never seen it done, but I've been told that it works.

Just curious ... if you can't get large enough equipment in there to move the rocks, how are you going to dig the hole for the tower foundation?

And I guess there is always the possibility of hiring a large helicopter ;)

73,
Dave   AB7E