[TowerTalk] TOWAIR query - proximity to airport, FCC and FAA registration

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Apr 3 06:05:18 PDT 2010

Pete Smith wrote:
> This sure suggests a computational error in the TOWAIR routine - like
> when you do a model in HFTA and a 1-meter change in antenna height
> produces a big change in pattern.  I think the first thing I'd do is a
> manual computation based on a topo map.  Measure the distance from the
> nearest border of the airport (for a conservative calculation), your
> site's altitude, and apply the algorithm given in the FCC reg.

Remember too, if you line up with any of the runways the criteria is
different for runway clear zones.

Years ago "they" built a new subdivision right across the highway from
the S end of 18/38. The N end of that subdivision was so close the trees
had about the top half cut out of them to maintain clearance. IOW, much
as I love airplanes I'd never live there even if they gave me one of
those 500,000 to 750,000 dollar homes.  One day I was on final for 36
just as I had been the previous day.  It was quite warm and beautifully
clear, but something just didn't look right. Then I realized I was
looking at a TV antenna being installed on top of a rather tall tower
right in front of me. Those things are terribly hard to see, but seeing
such a thing at 100 - 120 mph and recognizing it for what it is besides
overcoming the ingrained knowledge that such a thing just can't be there
takes time. The guy on the tower could probably count the rivits in the
bottom of the port (left) wing and whether I'd put the cap on the valve
stem when I check the tires.  The wing went over his head, but the left
main went beside him.  I probably missed him and the tower by about 3 to
5 feet. And of course that big engine was at full power which with a
2-blade prop would have been deafening. (The prop tips go supersonic and
max RPM). A 3100# airplane that close could be a bit unnerving as well.
<:-))

The next day the tower was gone.  I assume the irate home owner called
about one very scared TV antenna installer (It didn't do my nerves any
good either) and found what he could be liable for if he pursued a
complaint. It also gave him a preview of the noise he was going to have
to endure living there.  Departing aircraft are only a couple hundred
feet up when they go over the subdivision on a hot day. Of course he
tried to get the airport closed and the city found to do that they'd
have to pay back not only any grants for purchasing airport land, but
for the entire airport at current market value. That brought the push to
close to a quick halt.

Normal grants have a 20 year life with no pro rating. Land Grants are
forever, but become all inclusive and at current market value.

73

Roger (K8RI)