[TowerTalk] Tailtwister Rotor Rehab Question

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Apr 10 18:59:43 PDT 2010

Charlie Gallo wrote:
> On 4/10/2010 Roger (K8RI) wrote:
>

>> Here's a step-by-step rebuild although it's not a tail twister, but
>> rather the Prosistel PST-61.
>>

> It's funny, just before I got to the part where you added the rubber, I was looking at the flange on the output shaft and saying, "You know, if they made that larger, I wonder if it's structural?  If nor, I'd turn it off, and put a larger flange on there" (how a person with a machine shop things - turning/weld/fabricate)

They actually did put a metal cover there on the new ones and I believe
reshaped the top cover as well.  That reinforcement ridge is nothing but
a collection point for water and as you saw, got really expensive.

As for the rubber disks, I wanted to come up with something easy for the
average ham, without a well equipped workshop, to install.

It's one whale of a rotator, but had it been me, I'd have designed that
output shaft differently. Disassembly is not intuitive, particularly
with that snap ring being hidden under RTV.

73

Roger (K8RI)