[TowerTalk] V beam leg lengths

Chuck Gerarden cgerarden at atomix.com
Sat Apr 10 20:27:59 PDT 2010

I am designing a V beam system with 4 legs radiating out from my 80
meter tower, parallel to the ground. any 2 of the 4 wires can be selected
by relays for correct apex angle based on frequency. I am trying to
avoid any interaction with the 80 meter horizontal phased array at 100
feet. V legs are at 70 feet. I am trying to avoid leg lengths that are
near 1/2 waves on 80 and have come to a compromise of 500 feet. My 500
feet was determined by multiplying 3 - 1/2 (140)waves and adding a 1/4
(70)wave. Antenna is fed with 450 ohm line and balanced tuner.  I intend
to use the V beam mostly on 40,20,15,and 10. The enclosed angle between
the wires is about 30-35 degrees. Does anyone have suggestions on best
wire length to avoid 80 meter interaction? Any empirical input to this
project is appreciated. . I also refer everyone to the Aug 1956 QST
article on multiple V beams.

Thanks, Chuck, W0DLE