[TowerTalk] Fw: Prop Pitch Motor Power Supply

Gene Fuller w2lu at rochester.rr.com
Mon Apr 12 07:03:40 PDT 2010

Thanks Jim, it sounds like you have a really nice setup.  I've gotten to the
point where I should be looking at something more like that. I have moved
the power supply to the base of the tower, but a 100 foot pipe mast still
seems a bit daunting. There would still be te problem of the big LP up on
top. I wasn't looking far enough ahead when I designed my system. e.g. the
ppm is mounted on the top side of it's mounting platethus making it almost
impossible to change it out without bringing the whole carriage assembly
down.

I'm beginning to wish I had left my system on AC.  Have you ever replaced
the brushes and/or had the commutator turned down?  I didn't know any better
than to fill the gat case with oil wo there's the possibility that the lower
seal finally gave up and the rushes/commutator are all burned up from oil
seepage. Someone did suggest to me that I drill a hole in the bottom of the
motor can to drain any oil that made it that far. Fortunately I have an
extra motor. Now if I could just find/teach someone who could climb the
tower and replace the motor (and a few other little odds and ends). In the
meantime I have a TH-6 on a side gate a 45 feet that does supprising well.

73's,

Gene / W2LU