[TowerTalk] Measuring Guy Positions

Mark Robinson markrob at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 15 15:50:51 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Maki" <lists at oakcom.org>
To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk at contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, 15 April, 2010 5:58 PM
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring Guy Positions

> Roger (K8RI) wrote:
>
>> Mark Robinson wrote:
>>> I have my new 100 foot Rohn 45 set to go up on the gable end of the
>>> house. I
>>> have a wall bracket at 18 feet tied into the second storey ceiling
>>> joists. I
>>> can remove this wall bracket later if it proves to give me problems and
>>> yes
>>> I will probably never do a wall bracket again.
>>>
>>> I have set the rear guy back 108 feet at right angles to the gable end
>>> of
>>> the house. Using string to layout right angle triangles and a triangle
>>> with
>>> 30 and 60 degrees and a hypotenuse of 97 feet, I have marked the
>>> postions of
>>> the other 2 guys set 120 degrees from the rear guy line. Since the guys
>>> stradle the house and I have trees and a pump house I cannot see any guy
>>> anchor postion from any of the other guy anchor location . When I get
>>> the
>>> tower up to 30 or 40 feet then I will be able to see all three guy
>>> anchor
>>> points from the tower vantage point. I would like to check the 120
>>> degree
>>> spacing of the guys at that time before digging any anchor holes. What
>>> is
>>> the easiest way to measure the angle between the 3 marked guy anchor
>>> postions from my vantage point on the tower.
>
>> T-Square against the back side of the tower with the extension against
>> the the leg in the direction of the guy anchor. Sight down the edge of
>> the extension to the anchor.
>>
>> It may be crude, but it'll give you well within the acceptable accuracy.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> Yep, that works fine, or simply hold an 18" ruler across a face, and
> line up the 9" mark with the opposite leg. Of course the leg obscures
> the exact guy anchor spot, but by locating just to the left and just to
> the right, and taking the middle of that span, you are very very close
> to right on without any trouble.
>
> -Steve K8LX

Yes good idea Steve. I can run a line from the tower leg to the guy anchor
point that I have measured already and as I move my head I can see if it
looks right.

When I put my 25G tower up, I had the torque arm guy assembly which had the
arms on it and I was able to use that to align a string to the guy anchor
point.

thanks  Mark N1UK