[TowerTalk] HFTA and diferent bands antennas

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Sat Apr 24 12:34:02 PDT 2010

The REAL Swiss Army knife for antenna modeling would, in my opinion,
combine the terrain analysis of HFTA with the antenna modeling
capability of NEC .... and do it for both transmit and receive.  I
remain convinced that, especially for low angle signals, asymmetric
terrain that "looks different" to an outgoing signal than it does to an
incoming signal can cause dramatically different signal levels on the
two ends of a QSO even if all other considerations (power level,
antennas, noise level, ground conditions, etc) are equal.  N6BV even
alludes to that possibility in the ARRL Antenna Book discussion of
HFTA.  I've privately encouraged him ... begged is probably a more
accurate description  ... to write an arrival angle version of HFTA, and
he indicated that if he ever decided to tackle such a task it would be
sometime in the future.  I fully understand that.  It would be a totally
different and probably much more complex problem since the incoming
signal wouldn't be a point source like the outgoing signal is.  Still,
I'm desperately hoping he gives it a try some time.

And of course there's always vertical polarization .... ;)

73,
Dave   AB7E