[TowerTalk] Belden 8267

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Apr 25 08:03:42 PDT 2010

Roger said,

>It appears to be pretty expensive for what is apparently the equivalent
>of the old standard coax with a solid PE dielectric, bare copper
>braid/shield, and 5" bending radius.

As best I can tell from the Belden catalog, it's essentially the same as
8237, but with a non-contaminating jacket, and a dielectric that gives
lower loss at UHF (but both are solid PE). The cost premium at places
like Markertek (a broadcast house) is about 22%. Sorry John -- their
catalog lists only 500 ft and 1,000 ft spools.

But that brings up an interesting question. When I talked with Belden
engineers several years ago, they sort of downplayed the importance of a
non-contaminating jacket, saying that all black PVC was pretty UV
resistant. If that is true, given that the result of contamination is a
degradation of the dielectric, and that loss at HF and VHF is almost
entirely copper, should we still CARE about a non-contaminating jacket on
cable that will be used only at HF?

Important note -- I'm not stating this as fact, nor as a request for
"opinions" or "what you've always heard/read," but as a question to those
who may have seriously studied this and have real information on the
topic.

73,

Jim K9YC