[TowerTalk] ionosphere and ground reflections of radio signals

hanslg at aol.com hanslg at aol.com
Mon Apr 26 13:21:06 PDT 2010

 Hi Al,

The bending of the waves in a "charged media" is do to the interaction between the charges and the wave (not the magnetic field) and (I believe) reciprocal. When you add a magnetic field you get a change in polarization. This polarization change is not reciprocal. You see that same phenomena in circulators and directors, you know, those peculiar items there the signal goes through in one direction with minor damping but major attenuation in the other direction.

I don't think an antenna book is the right place to find the phenomena explained. A book in electro-dynamics/plasma physics is a better place. (Yes, I slept through the classes when this was explained in greater details).

The reflection in the ionospheric is similar (but not the same) to the total reflection when a wave enter from a high density media to a low density media. A charged media can be viewed as a dielectricum with a dielectric constant (or refraction index) smaller than 1 (strange thing but that's the way to think about it). The "mirror" model is easier to picture but is more limited than the <1 refraction index media. You can try to imagine that the radio wave has to penetrate the ionosphere a bit before the "reflection" takes place. If the charge density is not high enough of the ionized layer not thick enough the wave will go through with out reflection.

I have to dig out my books in physics and check further (after dusting them off big time, when I get the time:-).

73

Hans - N2JFS