[TowerTalk] US Tower damaged by lightning

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed Apr 28 23:55:36 PDT 2010

David Gilbert wrote:
> The last time this topic came up somebody made the distinction between
> positive and negative lightning, so I did some Google searching on it
> and found a ton of information on it ... most of it pretty scary.

Super Lightning, or Positive lightning was the thing of legend until the
Astronauts noticing sprites extending into space above some
thunderstorms caused enough interest to get research started.
Apparently it is a bit more common in cooler weather and in the Northern
states compared to the Southern states, but can occur any where and is
just as unpredictable as regular lightning. Except one thing about it is
predictable, its destructive power. There's still a lot unknown about it.

73

Roger (K8RI)