[TowerTalk] Crankup Tower Cable Issues

Don Tucker w7wll at arrl.net
Fri Apr 30 10:03:23 PDT 2010

I live on the central OR coast, just a few hundred feet from the ocean.

The cables on my HyGain HG-70HD are the original cables.  When I installed
the tower here on the coast, the guy at the fishing fleet cable
rigging/marine supply/electronics facility N of me (they service most of the
ocean fishing fleet out of the port) came up to inspect the tower and tell
me about what I should expect from the cables and how best to protect them.
He advised that I properly apply LPS-3 or a comparable penetrating lubricant
to the cables and follow up with reapplication on a yearly basis. He also
advised a heavy LPS-3 penetration of the cable area where they are swaged
onto the eye and use of a light waterproof grease on the pulley wheels to
help prevent any corrosion pitting/buildup on the wheel surface. We also
applied this grease to the pulley shafts and replaced the steel cotter pins
holding the shafts with SS cotter pins.

The primary concern he expressed was about wear/fraying due to the cables
rolling over the small diameter pulleys (dependent upon how much I raised
and lowered the tower). The tower has been up on the coast since 2003. I
don't do much playing with the height except when high wind storms are
imminent, then I reduce the height. The rigger inspected the cables last
summer and pronounced them sound, no fraying and no rust (perhaps a little
surface rust in a couple of places but nothing to worry about). He did
advise keeping an eye for rust that appeared to be originating from within
the cable (not to worry about the surface coloring). Looking at the tower
specs he also concluded that there was a very good safety margin on the
sizes/strengths of cable used by the manufacturer (not sure if HyGain built
them or someone else did and HyGain sold them with their label).

He did suggest keeping a closer eye on the cables as the 5 year mark was hit
and even if looking sound to replace them at 10. At the same time I will
replace the existing pulley shaft pins with better grade less corrosive
shaft material.

He also put me onto a nonconductive grease called CorrosionBlock which the
facility uses on electrical and RF connectors, fittings and other items on
board the boats. Made in Canada.  I've use it on my outside electrical and
RF connectors/fittings. Doesn't wash off in the rain and being aqua colored
I can easily see where it is. Even used it on the dumb RJ connectors of my
Peet wx station. Where used I have never had a problem with being able to
pull things apart or water/moisture problems (yes, I properly
wrap/externally seal all outside RF and AC or DC connectors too). Have only
seen it available at marine supply houses.

Don W7WLL