[TowerTalk] Using Aluminum Bar Stock for Boom to Element

Cqtestk4xs at aol.com Cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Sat Aug 14 23:48:30 PDT 2010

I'm still trying to put together a material list for the upcoming  antenna
projects.

I have heard of guys using 4" by .375" rectangular aluminum stock  to use
as boom to element stock on Yagis.

Standard procedure is to secure these to the boom with four  U-bolts.  I
assume the U-bolts are laid out parallel to each other on the  stock going
from front to back along the boom.  I also assume the elements  are held to the
stock by smaller U-bolts.  What size U-bolts have you guys  used on the 3
inch boom bolts and what size have you used on the element to  plate
mounts...5/16, 3/8?  Also, are they mounted M2 style, with the  elements above the
boom?  Or are they mounted Cushcraft style, with the  elements mounted below
the boom?

Does anyone have any pictures of such homebrew mounting?  A  picture is
worth a thousand words.

Thanks for the help.

73 Bill  KH7XS/K4XS