[TowerTalk] SteppIR Anetnnas

Mike nf4l at nf4l.com
Thu Aug 26 18:09:23 PDT 2010

  My 4 element SteppIR has been up 7 years now with absolutely no mechanical woes. I
took it down last August because I took a lightning strike that pretty well wiped my
station out.

There was no lightning damage to the antenna, but I found the rubber boots had
deteriorated badly, and the jacket on control cable to the motors was getting crisp.
In addition there was a deterioration to the finish of the fiberglass tubes.

I ordered the 34/40 trombone element, and a new set of boots (Fernco). I painted the
old fiberglass with a Krylon spray made for plastics, and encased the control wires
in automotive wire loom I got from NAPA.

I also replaced the control cable junction block with a home brew one. The
instructions and pictures are on the SteppIR Yahoo group site.

Would I do it again? Yep, in a heartbeat.

73, Mike NF4L