[TowerTalk] tuners and power rating

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Wed Dec 1 04:43:51 PST 2010

Jim,

I disagree!

If we restrict ourselves to talking about the series-form complex load
impedance, the reactive component will *not* affect the current required
through the load for a particular power dissipation. For example, to
dissipate 150W in a load of 150+j0 you need a current of 1A; you also
need the same 1A if you want to dissipate 150W in a load of 150+j1000.

Once you start talking about parallel components, things are different.
Your example of a 150 Ohm resistor in parallel with a 150 Ohm inductor
represents a load of 75+j75 Ohms - the resistive part is no longer 150 Ohms.

73,
Steve G3TXQ