[TowerTalk] Shipping Companies

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Dec 3 06:54:24 PST 2010

On 12/2/2010 11:43 PM, Jon Pearl - W4ABC wrote:
> Hi Roger.
>
> I've managed to move a couple of large crank-up towers by following
> the Egyptians example.  I've used large diameter PVC pipe in 3' or 4'
> lengths as rollers to simply roll the tower around the property.  When
> one of the pieces of pipe pops out from behind the tower it is picked
> up and thrown down in front of the tower in the path of travel.  You
> can easily slide the tower laterally on the slippery PVC by butting
> pipe pieces end to end to make turns as you go.
>
> You'll shove the biggest tower pieces around your property with little
> effort and no ruts.
I'm looking for the photos of when we moved a crated airplane from the
garage to the new shop.  We used the big round wood fence posts. They're
just not as straight or smooth as the PVC <:-))  However to get a 3000#
tower across the yard would take more than either of those.  It would
take a pair of rubber tired dollies and that would be at least 14"
tires. There is basically no way to get from the driveway to the back of
the shop except along the North side of the shop and that would take
some large tires to spread the load enough to keep from sinking in. That
means the work would almost have to be done after the ground freezes
deep enough to support the load. The past few years would  have been
just barely sufficient.

73

Roger (K8RI)