[TowerTalk] Reusing Coax

n8de at thepoint.net n8de at thepoint.net
Fri Dec 10 15:00:54 PST 2010

Roger,
Some comments based on my own experience.

When I lived in Eastern Ohio from 1978-79, I had one piece of old
RG-213 that I used between my tuner and the 40m vertical that I used
on all bands.  When I removed it after only one year of use, it had a
considerable amount of moisture within the coax that I attributed to a
poor job of 'taping' the connector at the antenna.  I threw the major
portion of that 50' piece away, but made some jumpers of the remainder.

Moving to Indiana in 1979, I purchased 500' of RG-8X and buried a line
of about 150' length from the house to the 40m vertical array in the
North pasture.

When I moved to Michigan in 2004, I removed that buried coax (pulled
it up with a garden tractor ... and found it in what appeared to be
NEW condition, despite being under the topsoil for 25 years!

I tested it with the appropriate power meter and dummy load and was
astounded to find that, after removing about 10' at each end, the
remainder tested like NEW!  Talk about a surprise!

Now that I'm up here in Michigan, I haven't used any RG-8X YET, but
have a 531 METER roll that I bought in Dayton, Ohio, a few years ago,
from which I am now making jumpers.

My present vertical antenna arrays are fed with military surplus
RG-213 with N-connectors and N-to-UHF adaptors ... work quite well and
will make the installation permanent and buried next Spring.

Had one incident with the RG-213 here in Michigan ..seems the
chipmunks LOVE it .. and have some 'nicks' in the jacket due to their
'nibbling' .. taped over those 'nicks' and all works fine.

I will continue to use RG-8X up/down towers to yagis and diples as
working with it is very easy.

73
Don
N8DE